Thursday, March 3, 2011

Lecturer...can i be??




A question that frequently pops up here is how you can become a lecturer. I though I would share my knowledge that i gained from my previous interview for lecturer post @ one of the private college.

Getting a post in lecturing involves two major components - academic qualifications and experience.

The bare minimum for getting a post in lecturing is an honour degree. As you would imagine, the more qualifications you have, the better. In my own experience, I do completed my degree from Upper Iowa University, USA but still don't have a chance to pursue my MAster Degree. So, i'm suppose to qualify in teaching foundation or diploma students. That's why i'm trying my luck to drawing out from the hassle from advertising industry to lecturing. At least, i can share my working experience with my future students. BUT....

Bring on to the next requirement - experience. The job spec for a technical discipline in an Institute of technology stipulates that a lecturer must have at least three years post grad experience. That date is measured from the date of conferring. This requirement does not appear to be as prevalent in Humanities. But for School of Business, it's more like so-so. You have a teaching experience, it's a bonus.

But in my case, i'm proud to say, i had passed the first stage of interview. Thanks to the interviwer, very melt-hearted English guy Mr.Trevors (over 30years of lecturing experience) for labeled me 'marked-lecturer' which mean, giving me a chance to go through the 2nd stage. I'm having a great almost 1hour interview session where we're talking about family values and English movies. If i'm not lucky enough to work in the college, i'll forever remember you for sure!

Having a 2nd stage of interview doesn't seem so easy. Not enough preparation to do the presentation makes me sooo nervous. I'm not doing any presentation for the past 3 years i think...Judging by 2 academic lecturer, i've done my level best.

Now....praying to Allah....semoga segalanya dipermudahkan...insyaallah...

No comments:

Post a Comment